The main task of TIP is to improve production, procession and economics of tobacco crop.
The scientific-research work in this institution is performed in several courses, which include:
- Creation of new tobacco varieties and preservation and improvement of the ones already registered
- Optimization of agricultural practices
- Investigation of diseases, pests and weeds on tobacco
- Investigation of chemical composition of tobacco and tobacco products
- Investigation of the post-harvest processes of tobacco raw
- Investigations of economic problems in tobacco industry
In the past eight decades, scientific workers of TIP published over 2000 scientific and professional papers.
In the same period, 203 scientific-research project have been completed and 6 are in process of realization.
Results achieved by scientific and research workers of TIP have been presented at a great number of congresses, symposia and advisory meetings in the country and abroad. Tobacco Institute with its varieties V53 (Virginia) and B2/93 (Burley) is a participant in the long-term CORESTA project on pathogenicity of Peronospora tabacina. In the investigations made so far, V53 have shown remarkable results.
Tobacco Institute-Prilep is a member of the international organization for tobacco research – CORESTA.,
The Institute has a fruitful scientific-research cooperation with the following institutions:
- Tobacco Institute-Bergerac, France
- Tobacco and Tobacco Products Institute- Plovdiv, Bulgaria
- Faculty of Agriculture – Belgrade, Serbia
- Institute of Medicinal Plants Research- Belgrade, Serbia
- Soil Research Institute- Belgrade, Serbia
- Faculty of Technology – Belgrade, Serbia
- Institute of Agricultural Economics-Belgrade, Serbia
- Institute of Field and Vegetable Crops-Novi Sad, Serbia
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine-Bitola, R. Macedonia